Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Graduation

Everybody in the academy passed the POST test, which was a huge relief as we all put lots of time into studying for it. Then we were supposed to run up Lookout Mountain, but the snow prohibited us from doing so. Instead, we ran almost 5 miles around Golden, which was fun, especially after finding out that we all passed the test. Graduation was awsome. We put on our uniforms and all of our equipment inlcuding our guns, which was the best part. Then we got our badges.....and got sworn in as Law Enforcement Officers for the State of Colorado. It was an awesome experience to finally see this fruit of all of our hard work and training.

I want to thank Sergeant Beaulieu, Deputy Joselyn, and Deputy Ackerman for instilling their passion for law enforcement into us. They were by our sides leading us and sometimes carrying us for 21 weeks. They shared experiences close to their hearts with us and gave us knowledge and skills as they shaped us into cops. I also want to thank my brothers and sisters in my academy class who sometimes teased me but mostly helped me throughout this experience.

This academy was a great experience for me. I really grew from a man into a cop. I was challenged physically and mentally. I received effective tools and skills that will help me throughout my career. I learned to fight, shoot, and drive like I have never before done in my life. I did countless push-ups and burpies. I learned elements of crimes, state laws, and how to write reports. I stood straighter and taller than I ever have before during uniform inspections.

I am now proud to stand even straighter and taller as I wear my badge while I serve and protect.