Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Working out.....physically and mentally

Monday was the beginning of week #3, which is amazing. The time has gone by really fast and I have been pumped full of a large quantity of new information in a small quantity of time. With a limited amount of time for the academy, there is lots of stuff to pack into each day. I just found out that Jeffco provides us with more training and learning hours than the Colorado POST board actually requires because they feel that it will greatly benefit us. I really appreciate the time that is put into this by those in charge and the instructors. There is reading that is required and some that is suggested to do outside of class. The books we need can be checked out or have been given to us. This part of the academy reminds me a lot of college so I am really trying to get into a study routine, which will hopefully be better than the one I had during college.







Preparing for PT



PT has really picked up as of like the third time doing it. It began pretty slow but is quickly getting into full force. Last week we got to do some pull-ups, which I am pretty sure I have not done since I had to for my physical fitness merit badge in boy scouts. These were done on some monkey bars at a park nearby but luckily is was early enough that we didn't have to share with any kids. We also did some sprints and lunges on a a slight incline. On Friday we ran up some stairs and a hill, and as always did some push-ups and crunches which will likely be staples for our PT. Today, we all quickly shook off the weekend by doing different sprinting exercises. In one, we did a 4x400 relay, but with no baton. My team ran it in 1 minute and 1 second, which made me feel good but the top team did it a little faster.....good job guys! I should point out that there is a really nice work-out room on site that includes free weights, weight machines, and some cardio machines among other things. Several of the recruits have taken advantage of this in their free time, which is awesome. I plan to join them soon.



On a break between classes






Classroom time



Group work in class



Our classes have been really great. The recent ones have included investigations, search and seizure, and use of force. There are so many critical aspects of our job, and we will have to make important decisions in minimal time. Getting down the knowledge and training in this academy will prepare us to make these quick decisions. I know we will gain the confidence to perform to the best of our abilities before we set foot out in the field.