Monday, August 22, 2011

Physical Improvement

An important part of the academy is physical training (PT), which we do 2-3 times per week. It has gradually increased in difficulty. Last Monday we ran the longest distance yet, which tested our endurance. This past Friday we had the wonderful experience of working out at the Red Rocks Amphitheater. Luckily I was somewhat prepared for this from reading about it on previous academy blogs. There are lots and lots of stairs that were used for running, jumping, and push-ups. Then there are planters, which are made from brick walls several feet high. And yes, we did have to go over the top of them. For me, this work-out was challenging and helped me feel new parts of my body. The best part about it is that it will get even tougher in the future. Yes, we will be back. We are always reminded that the physical training is also mental training. Even if our bodies want to quit, our minds have the power to push us and keep us going.


The calm before the storm



Ready to march in



We didn't have to go over this red rock, yet


I think we all enjoy the physical training because it allows us to get outside and move around. Also, I think we all feel better after we get the blood flowing for awhile. I never thought I would say this, but I am sad that we are not doing any PT tomorrow morning because we have extra classroom training to do. PT gives us an opportunity to encourage and support one another. It also allows us to bond and practice teamwork. Another thing I am trying to do is eat and sleep better as I know this will help improve my health. When we get out on duty, we must be ready for a call at anytime, and we must be able to outlast our opposition in order to win.