Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Being who I Want to Be

For this entry I want to share some of my feelings about who I want to be during my career as a law enforcement officer in the state of Colorado. I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to attend this academy. I know we are receiving more training than is actually required by the state. I want to be sure not to take this or future training for granted.

I want to be teachable in the academy and throughout my career. There are many experienced individuals employed by Jefferson County and its cities, and I can already see that they want me to be sucessful. For example, I have less experience with firearms than almost everyone else in my class, but my fellow recruits constantly ask me how I am doing with shooting and the instructors constantly keep an eye on me to make sure I improve. With learning I must be open to feedback and constructive criticism. One day I hope to be in a position where I can share my knowledge with others.

As a deputy sheriff, I also want to set a good example for those around me including fellow deputies and officers, and citizens of this county. I will be honest in my dealings with them and hold myself to the highest standards. Hopefully I can encourage those around me to do the same, which will help maintain a great place to work and live for everyone.

I pledge to be reliable in my career. I want to be there for others no matter the situation or time of day. Others will know they can count on me for help. I will keep my word and follow through on my commitments. I know this will require constant attention and work but will be worth it. The biggest thing for me to remember is to do the right thing all of the time and I will be the deputy and I intend to be.