Thursday, November 17, 2011

Lots to be Grateful For

This seems like an appropriate topic since Thanksgiving is coming up next week. I am very thankful for the opportunity I have to be going through this academy right now. I had to wait almost two years, but it was well worth it. I am thankful for the wonderful men and women who are my instructors and my classmates. They have stood by my side for about 18 weeks now and have helped me, supported me, and yes, even laughed at me sometimes. I owe the success I have had in this academy and the success I will have in my career to them.

Veterans Day recently passed and I want to express my appreciation and respect to those who have fought, continue to fight, and will fight in the future for the the freedoms of our country. I want to thank the men and women who proudly put on the badge of law enforcement everyday and bravely walk the line of duty. I am grateful for those who have made the ultimate sacrafice for our society: those serving in the military, those working in law enforcement, and those doing other acts of goodness.

I want to thank my wife and daughter for standing by me as I embark on my journey as a cop. I am grateful that they love me and support me.

This academy has been a great experience for me. I encourage those of you who will be attending future Jeffco or other academies to take full advantage of this wonderful opportunity. It is an opportunity to gain knowledge and skills that will help us serve our communities everyday. We can also build character and acquire attributes that will help us serve beyond our jobs as cops.