Monday, November 7, 2011

Tasing Day

One important piece of equipment that cops carry is a taser. We recently had a class where we learned about how tasers work and how to use them. As part of the training, we got to be tased if we wanted to. The purpose of this is to know what it feels like because we may have to tase people in our careers. We will also be able to tell a court of law that we know the effects of a taser firsthand.

I think those of us who wanted to be tased were ready to get it over with at the beginning of the class. Instead, we go to learn about tasers and their effects for about eight hours first. During this time, we got to sit and think about getting tased and how it would feel. We also had plenty of time to decide whether or not we wanted to be tased.

I decided that the experience of being tased would be invaluable for me as a law enforcement officer and went through with it. Although it only lasted for 5 seconds, it seemed much much much longer. It is difficult to explain how it felt but I definitely know I never want to get tased again. It is not fun, but I would definitely recommend doing it at least once for training purposes if you become a law enforcement officer. Apparently my class thinks I had one of the best reactions but I will just say that physical and verbal responses from a taser are entirely involutary!





Recruit H is ready to deploy her taser to this resisting individual who is padded up for this part of the training


Recruits E and S use their tasers simultaneously to get compliance from these fake bad guys


The following pictures illustrate the intensity and effectiveness of a taser: